Re: FSF condemns partnership between Mozilla and Adobe to support Digital Restrictions Management

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 1:19 AM, Slavko <linux@slavino.sk> wrote:
> The Samba doesn't allow to use of proprietary software. Samba only uses
> the SMB protocol (i can be wrong, but it is standardized), which Windows
> uses (as primary) too. But you can connect two Samba between themselves,
> then no Windows is needed.

I don't know whether Samba<->Samba is useful in the complete absence
of Windows or OS/2 (yes, I've used Samba to talk to an OS/2 server;
it's enormously better than Windows, but still non-free, so for this
discussion it's similar), given that there are alternatives such as
sshfs. But I doubt that exchanging documents between two LibreOffice
users, in the absence of all hint of Microsoft Office, would not be
done using a Microsoft Office file format, due to inevitable
imperfections in the codecs. And you wouldn't install a brand new
Debian Linux system and decide to format your drive NTFS, unless you
really were expecting to use it from Windows. Samba, LibreOffice, and
the NTFS driver (at least, I checked ntfs-3g, don't know about others)
are all in section 'main', and are thus considered to be completely
free.

Do you want the freedom to mount NTFS volumes in Debian, or do you
want to demand more freedom by stopping people from using NTFS
anywhere? (This isn't just about mounting that second internal drive,
of course; removable media can be formatted with any file system.)

ChrisA