Re: Max number of loop devices OR "efficient search of Debian documentation"

On Sun 18 May 2014 at 09:40:29 -0400, Tom H wrote:

> If you have loop compiled in to the kernel, as I do below, you can
> only change the number of loop devices at boot by using
> "max_loop=<number_of_loop_devices" on the kernel cmdline.
>
> # grep BLK_DEV_LOOP /boot/config-3.15-rc5
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP_MIN_COUNT=16
>
> But if the above grep returns "CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=m", you can:
>
> # rmmod loop
> # modprobe loop max_loop=<number_loop_devices_minus_one>

This can be automated to apply during booting by putting 'loop' into
/etc/modules and 'options loop max_loop=<number_loop_devices_minus_one>'
into a file in /etc/modprobe.d/. This works (for me) under sysvint and
systemd.

The idea was borrowed from a post by Michael Biebl at