Re: [totally OT] experience with Seagate Barracuda and NAS drives

Are you an anti-American, anti-NSA activist? Or, are you one of those blacklisted by the FBI or CIA?............{just kidding}

According to Edward Snowden, US intel agencies are known to have intercepted routers, hard disk drives, solid state drives, graphic cards, CPUs, etc.., meant for delivery to customers and insert backdoors in them.

The brownish-reddish film could have been the result of some hardware modifications made by the NSA to the hard disk drives.

BTW Seagate is known to have worked closely with US intel agencies so much so that China, at one point, insisted that Seagate MUST manufacture HDDs in that country and not elsewhere if Seagate wanted to sell its products to Chinese. This is to facilitate easy inspection of HDDs for backdoors by China's own intel agencies.