grub commands slow to execute at boot

I have two identical machines and one experienced a SSD failure. I obtained a replacement SSD and cloned the drive out of the unaffected machine using dd. Something like:

dd bs=4096 if=/dev/sdb of=saved.img
dd bs=4096 if=saved.img of=/dev/sdb

The cloned drive functions exactly like the original except that grub takes a long time to decide to to anything, on the order of 20 seconds. Upon bios exit, the display shows a Welcome to Grub! for about 20 seconds before offering the boot menu. Once a boot option is selected, grub takes about 20 seconds to begin loading the linux kernel image. Once past these two delays, Debian Wheezy 7.5 boots no problems.

I've tried entered the grub command line to do some tests. And everything there takes about 20 seconds as well. ls, for example. The delay doesn't appear to be "flaky", it's always the same amount and never fails completely.

I'm not sure where to ask this question, so I'm starting here.