Re: boot in console mode from grub2

On Wed, 7 May 2014 11:59:29 +0300
Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Ma, 06 mai 14, 17:42:12, Steve Litt wrote:
> > On Tue, 06 May 2014 12:39:03 -0500
> > Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > from /etc/default/grub:
> > >
> > > # Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
> > > #GRUB_TERMINAL=console
> > >
> > > then run update-grub.
> >
> > That often doesn't work, and it for sure doesn't boot straight to
> > the monitor without a framebuffer.
>
> Are you sure you're not confusing framebuffer with KMS?

It's very likely I am, because until you wrote this email I'd never
heard of KMS. *Now* I understand the role of nomodeset.

As long as I have your attention, I'm curious about the following:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="noquiet nosplash nomodeset text"

Would the preceding be the best way to try to have my computer boot up
to 25x80 raw text, show me every darn boot message, and not keep
switching resolutions in the middle of the boot?

Basically, I want my bootup and my Ctrl+Alt+F3 screens to look like
they're made with 1991 MS-DOS.

Thanks,

SteveT