Re: boot in console mode from grub2

On May 6, 2014, at 3:59 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 1:39 PM, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:
>> François Patte wrote:
>>>
>>> I would like to boot in console mode from the grub screen (ie not in
>>> graphic mode), but I don't want to be in single user mode, ie.: I want
>>> to have a "normal boot" without X.
>>>
>>> I can't find any tuto for grub2 installed on my system.
>>
>> from /etc/default/grub:
>>
>> # Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
>> #GRUB_TERMINAL=console
>>
>> then run update-grub.
>
> This won't prevent X from running.

What will, from my great experience, is deleting/disabling the init script that starts the GUI. I believe /etc/init.d is where the GUI comes from, not anything in Grub.

I've always installed from a netinstall, without the GUI, so that GUI init doesn't exist on my machines. When it boots after a small netinstall, I see "login:" in the upper left corner. Then I run Aptitude to install XFCE and IceWeasel, to get a few more lines on my terminal and to get to Google, Wikipedia, and the Debian site when I need to. I can type 'startx' if I want to see pictures, but it always boots into the console.

That's worked over several stables, on several computers, and for a long time.

--
Glenn English