Problems with mdraid on initrd

Dear list,

I recently upgraded to Wheezy a system that has its root filesystem on top of LVM and mdraid, and it gained a problem in booting, in that the initrd calls mdadm to scan for the mdraid devices before the kernel is done with detecting the physical drives on the machine. As such, mdadm sees none of its devices and initializes no arrays, and the initrd doesn't find the root filesystem.

I can fix this easily during the boot process by simply waiting for the initrd to drop to a shell, and then scan for the mdraid devices and initialize LVM manually and then let the initrd continue booting, but it would be kinda nice if I didn't have to boot the system manually. :)

Why would the initrd do this? What is the mechanism that normally makes the initrd wait for devices to be fully detected, and why doesn't work in this case? Could it have something to do with the fact that I'm running a custom-compiled kernel?

--
Fredrik Tolf