Re: Debian 7.x and desktop environments

On Sat, 3 May 2014 12:19:50 -0700
Robert Holtzman <holtzm@cox.net> wrote:

>        .........snip.........
> >
> > tasks-xfce-desktop is a meta package that includes xfce, and also a
> > set of additional packages that are typically used on a desktop
> > system, like libreoffice and iceweasel.
>
> Those packages should be part of an OS install, not a DE, or am I
> wrong?

I'd prefer they be part of neither. For instance, I might prefer
Lyx to LibreOffice and xxxterm to Iceweasel, and not want the
bloatation of LibreOffice and/or Iceweasel.

Of course, you're talking to a guy who doesn't think that lightdm and
xdm and their KDE and Gnome counterparts should be part of an X
install. I like things pretty granular.

SteveT