Re: `ls` shows file, `bash` says "No such file" ???

On Fri, 02 May 2014 23:49:03 -0400
Gary Dale <garydale@torfree.net> wrote:

> On 02/05/14 10:25 PM, Tom Roche wrote:

> > How is it possible that `ls` can list a file, but `bash` says "No
> > such file"?
[clip]

> The problem you have may be related to the firebox-bin not being able
> to find the files it needs. Bash may be finding the firefox-bin file
> but not an essential library.

I *suspect* that Gary's right, but before doing a lot of difficult work
based on the various speculations enumerated in this thread, why not do
a couple one minute diagnostic tests:

1) Run ./firefox-bin from directly inside the directory

2) Rename firefox-bin to firefox-bin.org, and create the following
   shellscript permissioned execute-all and named firefox-bin:

#!/bin/bash
echo ============= BEGIN $0 ===================
progname=$0
let argno=0
let argc=$#
echo Stdin content follows:
perl -n  -e 'print $_'
echo
echo
Environment vars follow:
env
echo
echo
echo Args follow, there are $argc args:
echo Arg0 is $0
while test $argno -lt $argc; do
        echo Arg$argno is \>$1\<
        let argno+=1
        shift
done
#echo -n Type in return value: 0 to 99:
#read rtrn
let rtrn=1
echo =============  END  $progname ===================
exit $rtrn

You might want to comment out the call to env because it produces a lot
of output that isn't likely to be relevant in this particular case. If
the preceding shellscript runs even though the original failed, that
gives a lot of credence to what Gary (and a lot of others commenting on
the thread) said.

If it starts looking like what Gary says is what's going on, I think
you could run the original firefox-bin in gdb and it might reveal a
little more about what's going on, but do the two one-minute tests
first to avoid the possibility of going on a wild goose chase.

By the way, the preceding shellscript works wonders any time one thing
is forking/spawning another and you need to see what's going on inside
the fork/spawn.

SteveT