Re: Debian 7.x and desktop environments

On Vi, 02 mai 14, 22:13:02, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Friday 02 May 2014 21:29:43 Brian wrote:
> >
> > Choosing a DE *after* booting d-i is not possible and, as far as I can
> > remember, there has never been such an option.
>
> You and I clearly mean different things by "booting".  I have done it
> frequently over the years in several different versions.

The menu that you see immediately after the BIOS finishes is presented
by syslinux, which is the bootloader used by the Debian images. At this
point the installer is technically not running.

Depending on the menu entry used the installer is then loaded (booted)
with parameters like 'expert' or 'desktop=xfce' that determine what
options are presented *during* the install or what is meant by the
"Desktop Environment" entry presented later.
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch05s03.html.en

As far as I remember (I haven't done an 'expert' install in a while),
during the install there is no easy[1][2] way to chose what desktop will
be installed as part of the "Desktop Environment" task.

[1] it can probably be done by switching to a console or so
[2] I seem to recall a "Select individual packages" check-box, but this
was probably the installer for sarge and it would be a stretch to call
that "easy" :)

Kind regards,
Andrei