Re: jigdo have 10 DVDs, and HTTP/FTP only 3

On Fri, May 02, 2014 at 03:12:05PM +0200, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
> Now, trying to fetch the hashes, I used the FTP/HTTP page, and there
> are only 3 DVDs. I guess those are not the same ones, so those
> hashes are not usable, but it's not my question.

I also see only 3 DVDs, but the SHA1SUMS file has sums for 10 (and two update
DVDs). I know that cd image mirroring is tricky for the project, due to the
size and bandwidth requirements, which is why jigdo or bittorrent are
preferable. Perhaps it wasn't practically possible to mirror DVD images 4+.

> What is the content difference between jigdo and http ISOs? ( I know
> what is jigdo and how it works, my question is about the content of
> the ISOs. )

Nothing. If you use jigdo to assemble DVDs 1-3 they will be identical to the
ones on the cdimage mirror. If you fetch the *jigdo files and decompress them
(with gunzip) you can see that the sums match exactly those in the SHA1SUMS
on cdimage.debian.org. You can also see which packages are on what DVDs.