Re: sudo in X-environment

On Thu, May 01, 2014 at 04:30:11PM +0000, Артур Истомин wrote:
> On Thu, May 01, 2014 at 10:51:21AM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> > For years I have used sudo both in server administration and on the desktop.
> >
> > Lately I get the following error message and I do not really know what to do
> > about it other than logging into the xserver as root - which I do not want
> > to do:
> >
> > $ sudo system-config-printer
> >
> > No protocol specified
> > error: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set in the environment.
> > Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused
> > No protocol specified
> >

> xhost +
> sudo system-config-printer
> xhost - # don't forget to do it after you're done with system-config-printer

'xhost +' allows anyone anywhere access to your X server. If you must use
xhost in this situation it would be much safer to use 'xhost +
si:localuser:root', this would allow only root from the local machine to
connect. Just be sure to run 'xhost - si:localuser:root' as soon as you
are done. You can run xhost without any arguments to see exactly who is
alowed to connect to you.

Cheers,
Tom

--
If there is a wrong way to do something, then someone will do it.
		-- Edward A. Murphy Jr.