qemu not grabbing control keys

Hi, if I try to run images with kvm I cant switch to virtual consoles
with ctrl-alt-(1/2/3) no matter what key combination I use (default is
ctrl-alt, starting kvm with -alt-grab makes it ctrl-alt-shift, starting
with -ctrl-grab makes it right ctrl button).

Grabbing and ungrabbing the mouse with the control keys works though so
qemu sees the keys.

My system is an icelandic keyboard with qemu version 2.0.0+dfsg-2 from
unstable.

Any ideas if this is a bug or some misconfiguration of my part?

TIA Oli