Re: problems with php5-fpm

On 01/05/14 06:35, Alan Chandler wrote:
On 01/05/14 03:51, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 4/30/2014 6:25 PM, Alan Chandler wrote:
Hi

I am experimenting with nginx and php5-fpm to replace an
apache2/libapache2-mod-php configuration.  And I am getting something
strange happening.

I have both a simple php web site that just consists of php pages (and
other assets) and static content.

I also have a wordpress configuration.

What I am finding after an idle period (do not actually know how long it
has to be, but I am leaving the web site and coming back after a couple
of hours of doing something else) is that

The static web site works,
the wordpress web site doesn't - because it appears that php5-fpm is
returning a 500

php5-fpm still appears to be running with the right number of processes.

I can get the wordpress site to work if I restart php5-fpm.

The question is why.  The main difference that wordpress site has is
that it uses a mysql database.  But I have no idea why that might cause
failures after an idle period.

Anyone any other ideas?

What's in your php log? (This may or may not be the same log as your Apache log - it depends on your configuration).

Jerry

I have display_errors set to off, and log_errors set to on (I think this is the default debian configuration). However the only reference in ANY (including mysql ) logs that I can find is the nginx access log (/var/log/nginx/access)

This shows the request with the 500 response.

There is nothing in the php5-fpm.log, and I can't find where php is logging things.

I have just set display_errors on, and also explicitly defined a php log file to see if I can capture more information. Of course I had to restart php5-fpm to do that, so my wordpress site is currently working. I need to leave it to time out and will report back when it does

I am getting a clearer, but not yet complete, picture of what is happening by adding some echo statements to the php code.

Wordpress is dieing somewhere in the plugin super-cache.

php5-fpm seems to override php.ini settings with the ones from the pool.d/www.conf file. That is why I wasn't seeing any logging. (at least I think that is why).

I have to give up for now.  But will try again this evening.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk