Must run pulseaudio as root to get sound

Hello everyone,

I'm running Jessie x64 with the XFCE DE.  I've noticed that as of last
week sometime, after an update, I have to kill pulseaudio, and restart
it with "pulseaudio -D --system" in order to get any sound.  I haven't
made any modifications that I think would have any influence on
pulseaudio, and I get the same behavior with any of the old kernels I
boot into.  I can also run alsamixer, see all sound cards, adjust
sliders, ect... but nothing other than restarting pulse brings back sound.

Thanks for any advice

Kyle B

Has anyone noticed similar behavior with their machine?  For
completeness, the specs are

Debian Jessie x64
Kernel 3.14 - Compiled by me
Realtek ALC892 sound chip
AMD cpu and graphics card

output of lsmod |grep snd:
kyle@Lore:~$ lsmod |grep snd
snd_hda_codec_realtek    50167  1
snd_hda_codec_generic    59066  2 snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_hda_intel          34716  10
snd_hda_codec          91185  3
snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep              13148  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm                84507  3 snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel
snd_seq                48835  0
snd_seq_device         13132  1 snd_seq
snd_timer              26615  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd                    61046  28
snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_seq_device
soundcore              13026  1 snd

output of ls /dev/snd/by-path:
kyle@Lore:/dev/snd/by-path$ ls
pci-0000:00:14.2  pci-0000:01:00.1

output of lspci |grep Audio
root@Lore:/proc# lspci |grep Audio
00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00
Azalia (Intel HDA) (rev 40)
01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
Cayman/Antilles HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6900 Series]