Re: DynDNS no longer free.

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 5:38 PM, Tom Furie <tom@furie.org.uk> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 08, 2014 at 03:51:01PM -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> DynDNS just announced that their free hostname program in 30 days
> will no longer be gratis.
> I use that with ddclient to update the IP address for my blog.
> Are there other free alternatives?

This news disappointed me too, given that I have been using their
service since the available domains were dyndns.org and two others that
I don't remember. There are some free alternatives which I
am currently investigating.

I am disappointed too.

Unfortunately most of those I have looked at
seem to require a Windows binary download, or use a web-based interface
which would require manual intervention whenever my IP changes (rather
defeating the purpose, I think).

Over lo these many years, I have run ez-ipupdate on my perimeter to keep my dynamic hostname in sync. So I pulled up the description, which says:

" Currently supported are: ez-ip (http://www.EZ-IP.Net/), Penguinpowered
 (http://www.penguinpowered.com/), DHS (http://members.dhs.org/),
 dynDNS (http://members.dyndns.org/), ODS (http://www.ods.org/),
 TZO (http://www.tzo.com/), EasyDNS (http://members.easydns.com/),
 Justlinux (http://www.justlinux.com), Dyns (http://www.dyns.cx),
 HN (http://dup.hn.org/), ZoneEdit (http://www.zoneedit.com/) and
 Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker (http://ipv6tb.he.net/)."

That should at least give you some choices...

--b

Cheers,
Tom

--