Re: Whole System Encryption, LVM & Extended Partition

On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 04:49:41PM -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:

> Did a couple of trial installs of Wheezy in VirtualBox in anticipation of the real thing on an as yet to be purchased notebook, and noticed something puzzling with the Guided-Encrypted-LVM partitioning option. (I've never done encryption on my systems before.)  The installer used a "classic" Extended partition, i.e. sda5, instead of a Primary one on which to place the LVMs: /, swap, /home.  /boot was a Primary, as expected.  Seems like a unneeded use of a logical partition layer on which to place another layer of logical partitions.
>
> Any valid reason for doing this?

No evidence to support this, but I suspect the reason the installer
prefers a logical partition is that Linux is perfectly happy booting
from one. There are, I suspect, a significant proportion of people who
install Debian alongside Windows and, notably, that needs (at least one)
primary partition to boot from.