Re: kernel upgrade

On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 02:05:57PM +0000, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Mar 2014 14:31:03 +0100
> François Patte <francois.patte@mi.parisdescartes.fr> wrote:
>
> Hello François,
>
> >Since I installed debian sid (august 2013), I regularly made upgrade,
> >but the kernel doesn't appear to be upgraded. Why? I am running
>
> Unless an additional package is installed, kernels are exempt from
> upgrade.
>
> >Do I have to upgrade to 3.13-1-amd64?

Absolutely not! If your machine is working perfectly, why risk it?

>If yes how to proceed?

apt-get install <package name> just like any other package.

> Either install the latest kernel manually or, if you prefer to have
> kernels handled by your usual update routine, install linux-image-amd64,
> which depends on the latest kernel version.

Just to point out that there is nothing magical here. A new kernel is
treated just like any other package, dpkg/apt etc doesn't know a kernel
package from, e.g. beneath-a-steel-sky_0.0372-5_all.deb

Have a nosy at
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-pkg_basics.en.html

oppressing." --- Malcolm X