Re: dirvish still a good choice?

On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 16:22:07 -0700
Peter Michaux <petermichaux@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I see in The Debian Administrator's Handbook [1] that Dirvish is
> recommended for backups.
>
> Looking at the Dirvish website [2] it seems that the project has been
> inactive since 2008. Perhaps Dirvish is such a simple layer over top
> of rsync that its been stable and hasn't needed attention in all this
> time.
>
> Is Dirvish still a good choice in 2014?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

Hi Peter,

This isn't responsive to your question, but if you find out that
Dirvish isn't what you want, here's the rsync based backup I've been
using since about 2006:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/lpm/200609/200609.htm

This is based on Kevin Korb's rsync backup:

http://www.sanitarium.net/golug/rsync_backups_2010.html

Note that I still use cp -al to make the symlinks, but Kevin has moved
to a different command.

99% of the stuff on my site is probably old news to you, but it pretty
much does what Dirvish appears to promise to do. And if you want
automated backup of multiple machines in the middle of the night, it's
as simple as using my scripts for each backup, and changing the source
and destination, and maybe the list of excludes.

HTH,

SteveT