Re: Gigabyte mother board AMD cpu

On Wed, March 26, 2014 2:03 pm, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Mi, 26 mar 14, 10:25:08, Steve Litt of Troubleshooters.Com wrote:
>>
>> I have no idea which mobos Debian handles out of the box, but what I've
>> observed is that life is much nicer if:
>>
>> * You do the network install
>
> Irrelevant, the kernel is the same.
>
>> * Choose Expert install or whatever it's called
>
> Irrelevant, the kernel is the same.
>
>> * Say yes (default is no) to "install nonfree software
>
> This activates the non-free repository.
>
>> When I do that, stuff just works.
>
> It might be that the installer also installs firmware-linux-nonfree,
> which contains a lot of firmware, especially for Radeon video cards.
> This however still wouldn't explain why "stuff" (which stuff?) just
> works.

No, the firmware-linux-nonfree package has to be specifically called. It
is not automatically installed. You will get advised that drivers included
in it, e.g., the Tigon ones, are required, but you have to search for
them, ascertain which package they are in, and specifically select that
package for installation just as you do for any other non-free bundle.
Cheers!

Weaver

--
"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its  government."
 -- Thomas Paine

Registered Linux User: 554515