Re: Reverting back to apache2 from lighttpd: have issues

On Mon, 2014-03-24 at 14:30 -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> On 3/24/2014 12:45 PM, John Foster wrote:
> > I have been trying to get lighttpd to run as my web server but was not
> > able to get it properly configured. I kept getting an error message
> > saying that localhost was not configured properly and I could not use
> > the simple browser url  "http://localhost to open the server. I decided
> > to reinstall apache2 & as I had totally removed ALL of apache2 even any
> > references to it; the new install was pristine from Debian stable. It
> > fired up but I'm still getting the same error when I try to use
> > localhost. I use localhost as my editing server for the mediawiki
> > installed there /var/www  directly into that directory. Any ideas what I
> > have screwed up with my system that will cause this. Also the server is
> > not delivering the actual website either.
> > thanks
> > john
> >

> John,
>
> What's the exact message you get?
>
> Jerry

Well I have gotten past the message stage; Seems I needed to move all
the sites ( DWWW, GALLERY, Mediawiki, etc)  into separate directories
under /var/www and to revert Apache to /var/www as the root directory
for the server. I also changed the owner back to root & permissions to
755 for /var/www. Currently I have localhost running and my IP DNS
server at godaddy sending everything to the correct IP address. I can
now run http://localhost/phpinfo.php  which gets the running php
configuration OK. Now the issue seems to be that some scripts ending
in .php are not being allowed to run (under google chrome) instead they
are being downloaded & the source code displayed as text. I recall this
was an issue in older versions of apache, but for the life of me I don't
recall being required to add any exceptions such as AddHandler, AddType,
etc. since debian enabled all this by default. However those seems to be
required so I'm investigating them now. I will graciously accept any
advice.
Thanks
John

BTW: I was sufficiently warned by several list contributors about
lighttpd being a can of worms to configure, Just wanted to give it a go.