Re: Gnome (wheezy) questions: Language setting, speech synthesis, visually impaired user

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 08:41:14PM +0000, W. Martin Borgert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to configure a laptop (Debian wheezy) for a visually impaired
> user, who speaks Spanish. I'm not sure, which desktop to install for her,
> so I tried the default (Gnome). It's been some time, that I tried Gnome,
> so I'm a little bit stupid with it:
>
> 1. How to configure the language (Spanish)?
>
> I tried it with "System Settings" -> "Region and Language" -> "+" ->
> "Select a language" -> "Spanish" -> "Select". Now "Spanish" appears twice
> in the list. I logged out and in again, as suggested by the settings dialog,
> but only the clock in the middle of the upper black bar seems to be in
> Spanish ("mar" = "martes"/Tuesday), everything else is still in English.
> I tried multiple times, but so far no success. "es_AR.UTF-8" is a valid
> locale on the system, btw. Do I need to install a language pack for Gnome?

First of all, I'd consider installing "task-spanish-desktop". This will
install language packs for the common desktop applications (mainly
libreoffice and iceweasel). Next, try adjusting the file
/var/lib/AccountsService/users/your-user-name to read

  [User]
  Language=es_ar.UTF-8

This might tell a few more applications to change language.

es_AR doesn't strike me as a particularly unpopular language, but bear
in mind that translation tends to have fairly low priority for
developers. If you find that an application is honouring the change of
language but is still in English, then it may be that there's no
translation available for it. If you fancy, I'm sure the developers
would appreciate any help in that regard.