Re: Check Update, Update and Port Blocking

On Wed, 2014-03-05 at 18:53 +0000, Joe wrote:
   . . .
> From your last post:
>
> Failed to fetch
> ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/contrib/i18n/Translation-en.bz2
> Could not connect passive socket. [IP: 64.50.233.100 21] Failed to fetch
> ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/contrib/i18n/Translation-en_US.bz2
> Could not connect passive socket. [IP: 64.50.233.100 21] Failed to fetch
> ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/main/i18n/Translation-en.bz2
> Could not connect passive socket. [IP: 64.50.233.100 21] Some index
> files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used
> instead.
>
> The 'ftp:' at the beginning of the URL shows that it is indeed
> attempting to connect by FTP, as does the reference to 'passive
> socket' and the '21' after the IP address.
>
> FTP uses separate control and data channels, in one of two different
> ways, and either way, any firewall in between the ends must know enough
> to associate the two channels. Hence the ftp_conntrack module (or
> whatever it is called these days) in iptables to do this very job.
>
> Change the ftp://ftp.us.... in all of your /etc/apt/sources.list
> entries to http://ftp.us.... and all will probably be well. Note that
> the site hostname still begins 'ftp', but it's the part before the colon
> that matters.

I checked /etc/apt/sources.list and found

  deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib
  deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib

  # squeeze-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
  # A network mirror was not selected during install.  The following
entries
  # are provided as examples, but you should amend them as appropriate
  # for your mirror of choice.
  #
  deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main contrib
  deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main contrib

It appears that none of the entries start with "ftp:".  So is there a
possible Plan B at the OS or am I really going to have to hammer on
Comcast?

Thank you and thanks to all who replied to my earlier posts about this,

--
Bill Wood