Re: Brainless Debian Stable installation and usage?

http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/

> 2: Tell them how to use the network install CD to install Debian
> sans GUI.

One problem that they may hit is network card during installation not
being recognised.  This is easily remedied, but there are also
install CDs with the drivers.  I can never remember where these are
and they are difficult to find, but hopefully someone will chime in.

> 3: Tell them to apt-get install xfce4 xfce4-goodies
> 4: Tell them how to make Xfce be what runs when they issue the
> startx command.

Why complicate things for them?  Why not have it boot into the GUI?

> 5: Tell them how to make iceweasel play youtube videos (I think
> today I saw someone on this list say to go to youtube.com/html5 :
> Is that a good solution in general?)

There will still be things that cannot play on YouTube and sites that
are not (yet?) HTML5.

> 6: Are you guys cool with my friends, who would all be raw newbies,
>    joining this list?

I am, but then I am by way of being a perpetual newbie myself. ;-).  I
can't speak for the others.  Warn them to reseqarch first and accept
the somewhat rough "justice" sometimes meeted out.

Useful URLs
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-getting.en.html

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual

http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/