Re: Replacing systemd

On Ma, 04 mar 14, 11:58:42, Pertti Kosunen wrote:
> On 4.3.2014 11:16, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> >The decision was just about *the default*. (Is this so difficult to crasp?)
>
> When is this change coming to unstable?

The sysvinit package (Essential: yes) has been transformed into a
metapackage with:

Pre-Depends: sysvinit-core | upstart | systemd-sysv

I'm guessing that at some point in time[1] the order will be reversed so
that systemd-sysv is first (and pulled in on any new installs instead of
sysvinit-core). Installations with sysvinit-core will *not* be affected
by such a change.

[1] Debian still has systemd v.204, while upstream is already at v.210
and it is my understanding that v.205 introduced some major changes. I'm
guessing the switch will not happen before systemd is upgraded to at
least v.205 (but probably higher).

> Will it need any special actions when upgrading?

Not if you want to stick with sysvinit(-core). If you want to switch to
systemd you can already do so just with an

    apt-get install systemd-sysv

though for such a central component I strongly recommend you do:

1. 'apt-get install systemd' and boot with 'init=/bin/systemd'
2. if everything works fine install systemd-sysv to make the change
permanent (i.e. /sbin/init will be replaced with a symlink pointing to
systemd).

This will likely stay the same for the stable upgrade, i.e. I strongly
doubt the switch will be triggered automatically by a dist-upgrade.

Kind regards,
Andrei