Re: Replacing systemd

On Mon, 3 Mar 2014 22:31:08 -0500
Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 03, 2014 at 08:50:09PM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I just checked with my local Linux group (GoLUG), and the opinions
> > there are that systemd is not a particularly good thing. I also
> > heard from our LUG's most vociferous proponent of Daemontools that
> > Daemontools wouldn't be a good replacement because it has no
> > concept of running things in a specific order.
> >
> > So let me ask you this: If I wanted to replace systemd on a future
> > Debian system, what would I replace it with, and how?
> >
> > Note: This is a serious question about technology, not politics, so
> > will the multinamed screamer please stay out of this conversation?
>
> I would strongly consider a hybrid of the existing sysVinit and
> daemontools or runit -- runit being a reimplementation of daemontools
> that avoided the licensing issue and has a current maintainer.

Yeah, I would strongly consider that too. I didn't know I could replace
systemd with sysVinit once Jessie becomes stable. And I'll research
runit to see if it's just like Daemontools. I'm really in love with
Daemontools: It's not just a summer thing.

> sysVinit would be in charge of system boot, and runit in charge of
> daemon supervision.  A few simple modifications allows
> /etc/init.d/ files to control the runit processes.

:-) Would those modifications involve linking and unlinking directories
to the /service (or /etc/service) directory, by any chance?

> Another interesting candidate is monit, which is similar in
> basis to runit or daemontools, but spends more effort on trying
> to monitor the results of the processes and send you alerts or
> restart them on misbehavior.

Thanks so much Dan. This is good information.

SteveT