Re: Debian init choices

On Sun, Mar 02, 2014 at 06:44:33PM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was just wondering something. How much effort would it take for me,
> personally, just me, to make my Debian Stable start all its processes
> with DJB's Daemontools. I know Daemontools, I understand it, I know how
> to work with it and how to troubleshoot it. What I don't know is:
>
> 1) How to get the kernel to pass off control to Daemontools?

apt-get install daemontools-run

That will start svscanboot from inittab, which will get you a
working system, suitable for migrating daemons from sysvinit to
daemontools control. If you later want to drop svscanboot as
/bin/init, you can do that, but it's not going to be simple.

> 2) How to know which processes get run after boot?

Look at your current /etc/init.d/ directory for everything
which *might* happen.

Look at /etc/rc?.d/ to see what gets run. On a standard Debian
Wheezy system, the default runlevel is 2, so you can ignore 3,4
and 5. 6 is for rebooting.

> 3) Can one start drivers with Daemontools?

Yes, you need a process (a run script) that tests to see if
modprobes are needed, and then does them.

> 4) Would there be a performance or stability cost to doing this, other
>    than boot taking longer, which I don't care about that much?

Boot might be faster, actually, since daemontools will do
everything in parallel.

Stability? At boot time, you are likely to have dependency
problems that you will need to sort out. You are likely to have
to re-implement a chunk of sysVinit's dependency system.

After boot, I would expect daemontools to be more stable than anything
except similarly designed systems such as runit. (Look at the runit
ackages.)

--
https://randomstring.org/~dsr/eula.html is hereby incorporated by reference.
You can't fight for freedom by taking away rights.