Re: Proposal - preserve freedom of choice of init systems - SysV is FINE.

On 03/03/2014 07:02 PM, Arnold Bird wrote:
I myself do not like systemd either.

Why don't I go use some other distro
since a vote was won on some corner
mailing list by a grand total of
4 people infavor and 4 people against
about one week ago??

Well:

Debian is the universal operating system.
I shouldn't have to.

/snip/
I should not have to forgo all the packages of debian, all my experiance with debian (13 years), because four people deciced I and everyone of the thousands of debian developers and debian users should use systemd and that is it. The people who make debian are not beholden to gnome, systemd, redhat. The people on that committie might be. The people like me who are opensource programmers do not have to just accept the decision of the systemd backers.

/snip/

Two comments:
1. Debian is *not* the universal operating system. After Windows and Mac OsX, and maybe Unix, probably Ubuntu is. 2. Since you are a programmer, and Linux is an open source system, why not modify the part that includes the undesired code and put back the desired code? You could then publish the revised version as "Good Linux" or whatever you decided to call it.

(I am not a fan of Ubuntu, just saying. . . .)

--doug