Re: was Four people troll - now meandering off elsewhere

On 04/03/14 09:32, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Scott Ferguson wrote:

<snipped>

>> We don't move to stable until it's been stable at least a year (so the
>> move to Wheezy has only been recent, in many cases we still run
>> old-stable) - anything less give insufficient time for testing. But the
>> developers need at least two years lead time before we can even sit down
>> and discuss support contracts that entail more substance than trying to
>> nail snot to the wall.
>>

> Well... just to be clear - we still run old_stable (and earlier) on a
> lot of stuff.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" remains good practice.
> I generally migrate stuff when security patches stop being available.

Likewise - though I know many rely on testing and unstable for their
needs (hardware and userland "requirements"). Personally I need a
compelling argument to implement change - but there are more user-cases
than I could possibly think of. Much of SME invest enormous amounts into
their OS and userland will very low returns - public service for
instance often sees less than 3 hours per day of actual work done on
their systems (and that's not just time wasted on Ffffacebook, many
consider private email a "right" - and often those "needs" determine OS
capabilities leading to support contract goals that can never be met and
SOE nightmares).