Re: Install a package without download and installation step from other packages

On 03/03/14 19:10, Fatemeh m wrote:
> Hi,
> I installed debian 7 on another system, I want to copy the packages from
> my system and paste them to the other system, but without download and
> also without need to install them.
> tanx

Copy the packages to the other system. You can do that by CD/DVD, USB
Flash key, Floppy disk, or over the network.

You don't say where those packages are on your system. If they are not
beneath your user ID /home directory try looking in
/var/cache/apt/archives (you'll need to be root). e.g.:-
# cp /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb $somewhere
(replace $somewhere with an actual file location)

If you copied the files from /var/cache/apt/archives, to install them on
the other computer copy them, as root, to /var/cache/apt/archives. You
then have two options:-
;the painful method - use "dpkg -i" to install individual packages,
examine the error messages, use dpkg to install missing packages, rinse
and repeat until all dependencies for the original package are installed.
;the painless method - "apt-get install" to install individual packages,
first you'll need to run "apt-get update". apt-get will not download a
package from the internet if it already has a copy in
/var/cache/apt/archives.

NOTE: the above presumes you haven't previously run "apt-get clean"
which deletes previously installed packages from /var/cache. You can
also duplicate the packages installed on one machine - but that's a
different process based on the same "copy *.deb from one
/var/cache/apt/archives to another".

P.S. plain text messages are preferred on this list, you can find a very
short guide on howto do that with gmail here:-
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMailingLists#Gmail

Kind regards