Re: Re^2: Mutt: SSL Certificate check ... SASL authentication failed

On 01/03/14 16:38, Peter Easthope wrote:
> <[🔎] 53115869.3090502@gmail.com>
>
> From: Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 14:47:53 +1100
>> Shouldn't that certificate be for domain from which you are mailing?
>> e.g. *.easthope.ca
>
> Why?  The only configuration given to mutt was the four lines
> mentioned.  The response from mutt was quoted without change;
> except that I put the second "=== ... ===" ahead of the last
> two lines rather than after.  The report ends with these lines.

Do you only get this problem with that site (the one that has it's SSL
wrongly configured so I can't check it)?

> WARNING: Server hostname does not match certificate
>
> -- Mutt: SSL Certificate check (certificate 2 of 2 in chain)
> SASL authentication failed
> ================================
>
> My interpretation is that mutt, or SASL on behalf of mutt, got
> a certificate from websitewelcome.  That certificate is authenticated
> by a root certificate from COMODO.  SASL found that the name in the
> root certificate doesn't match the name of the server which sent it.
> Is that wrong?

That's what the error message means. Is that site your email host?

> Thanks,                 ... Peter E.

from my notes, this is how I've configured mutt in the past (though I
don't 'imagine' the problem is at your end of the SASL exchange):-

# IMAP
set from         = "USERNAME@YOURDOMAIN"
set imap_user         = "USERNAME@YOURDOMAIN"
set imap_pass         = "PWORD"
set folder         = "imaps://imap.EMAILHOST:PORT"
set imap_check_subscribed

# SMTP
set smtp_url        = "smtp://USERNAME@SMTPHOST:PORT/"
set smtp_pass        = "PWORD"

set spoolfile         = "+INBOX"
set postponed         = "+[WHATEVER]/Drafts"
set trash        = "imaps://imap.EMAILHOST/[WHATEVER]/Trash"

set header_cache         =~/.mutt/cache/headers
set message_cachedir         =~/.mutt/cache/bodies
set certificate_file         =~/.mutt/certificates

Kind regards