Re: Consistent mouse and scrollbar behavior in X?

On 10/12/2013 12:11 PM, Clive Standbridge wrote:
You need to rebuild emacs to achieve that. This note from /usr/share/doc/emacs23-common/README.Debian.gz is the key: If you prefer the old-style, non-toolkit scrollbars, just edit debian/rules to add --without-toolkit-scrollbars where indicated and rebuild. The splendid Debian Reference has a guide to rebuilding packages: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_porting_a_package_to_the_stable_system - Make sure you set the deb-src line to the same release as you're using (because you're not doing a backport). - Before the build step, add the following lines in debian/rules at the appropriate places: confflags_x += --without-toolkit-scroll-bars confflags_lucid += --without-toolkit-scroll-bars Allow plenty of time for the build. My notes say 42min to build emacs23 on a 3GHz P4.

Clive, I'm sorry it took me so long, but thank you very much for your reply. I finally got time to try it tonight and it wasn't even difficult. It did take a while to compile, though. I just tried it and I have working scroll bars back! I'm going to have to do the same thing on my work machine.

  much less make it standard across all X programs. Is this possible?
Ideally scroll bar behaviour would be a window manager function, but
as you've observed, it seems to be built into each application.
This seems like a remarkably poor design.
Did you know that xterm has the same scrollbar behaviour? Unlike every
other terminal emulator that I'm aware of.

I don't have scrollbars on my xterms, but I'll give it a try.

Thank you again!

Brian