Re: Any reason not to run amd64 these days?

On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 07:13:20 -0500 (EST), berenger morel wrote:
> Stephen Powell wrote:
>>
>> I've had nothing but trouble with my first amd64 system.  The 3.12
>> kernel
>> of jessie won't even boot for me.  But my experience appears to be
>> atypical.  The general public isn't having such problems, it seems.
>
> Simply curious, what kind of error message did you had? ( if you
> remember, of course )

Paging errors.  The kernel is fine until the first time it needs to
page.  The 3.11 kernel doesn't page until it needs to.  The 3.12 kernel
seems to page at least once during boot, just to see if it can.  It
can't.  That causes it to crash before I can login.  I used to think
that an only partially successful microcode upgrade was responsible
for the failure, but I've since been able to create a paging error
on a processor for which the microcode upgrade was apparently successful.
(I'm talking about an on-the-fly upgrade from amd64-microcode, not a
BIOS flash.)

So I'm back to square one.  The processor is a true AMD, not an Intel.
I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not, but my guess is
that it does.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :