Re: Wireless AP setup: RTL8188CUS

On 01/02/14 21:57, Csanyi Pal wrote:
> Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 31/01/14 04:53, Csanyi Pal wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just bought an USB dongle nano Netis WF-2120 adapter.
>>> I want to set it up on my headless Debian Wheezy server as a Wireless
>>> Access Point.

<snipped>

>>> However, I can't find the installed driver, and I don't know how can I
>>> load it as a kernel module?
>>>

>> Had you read this wiki page about that chipset?
>> https://wiki.debian.org/rtl819x
>
> Yes, I had. There I found that that my USB Wifi adapter is supported:
>
> when I plug in the WiFi usb adapter, lsusb shows the following:
> Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:8176 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188CUS
> 802.11n WLAN Adapter
>
> and on the webpage https://wiki.debian.org/rtl819x there is this davice
> listed:
>
> USB: 0BDA:8176 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188CUS 802.11n WLAN
> Adapter
>
> On the web page: https://wiki.debian.org/rtl819x there I found the
> following information:
>
> rtl8192cu (supported devices)
>
>  Supports USB devices based on the RTL8188CUS and RTL8192CU chips.
>
>  Introduced in Linux 2.6.39, enabled at
>  linux-2.6  2.6.39~rc7-1~experimental.1.
>
> So now what should I do to get this USB Wifi adapter works?

Sorry - if I knew that I would have posted a suggestion or answer
sooner. I'd just noticed that it wasn't mentioned in the thread.

Did you install the matching headers? Do you get a match on the chipset
series when greping through the likely modules after piping through string?

I did notice that chipset appearing in a list of aliases on that wiki
page - that's one thing I'd check for. You could also check with the
author of that wiki page (it's not one of mine).

I don't have a similar chipset or much experience with wifi in general
so it's very unlikely I could offer more help than you are already getting.

Kind regards