Re: How well is wheezy supported by haswell platforms?

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 10:50:01 +0100, M C wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm in the process of considering compute servers for a small HPC facility, and I would like to run Debian wheezy on them. Until recently I would have opted for Intel's Ivy Bridge based platforms, but with the advent of Haswell I'd like to consider that as an option. Searching the web reveals quite a few instances of people running into trouble with wheezy+Haswell, but many of those stories are now a few months old, so can I ask what the perceived situation currently is? Have most/all problems been ironed out, or would one need to backport a number of packages, and if so, which?
> Thanks for any help,
[snip html]

I had problems with Wheezy, but Jessie is working pretty well.

The answer is probably going to depend on your hardware, especially whether you're using
the Haswell video stuff or a separate video card.  In that former case I'm guessing you'll
probably end up with Jessie - but I'd suggest you try it.  It shouldn't take long to find
out if there's something wrong on one of your units.

  -F