Re: Cannot import packages from debian iso to apt-cacher-ng

Anubhav Yadav wrote:
> I installed a 32 bit Debian Wheezy on a PC (One PC in a lab of 24 computers).
> I made it a dhcp PXE server with netboot images of Debian 7 32 bits.
> It worked perfectly and all the 20 computers booted from network with
> the debian installer.

Good for you.

> The only problem was that all the packages had to be retrieved from
> the internet and bandwidth was a problem. So only one computer could
> be properly installed.

Twenty machines will be a lot of duplicated bandwidth.  Good to use a
caching proxy.

> So I tried to look for solutions on how to completely boot the 4.3 GB
> iso from the network, bypassing the internet mirrors completely. I
> asked a question on the debian user lists and was greeted with many
> solutions, among them was the apt-cacher-ng.

I agree.  apt-cacher-ng would be a good solution.  That way you only
download the data once and it is shared among all of the machines.

> So now I wanted to install 64 bit machines on the same lab, and the 32
> bit server being the PXE server.
>
> So I installed the apt-cacher-ng package. All was set up.
>
> I mounted my iso file to a location, and created a symlink of the
> /pool folder to /var/cache/apt-cacher-ng/_import folder.

I haven't ever imported into apt-cacher-ng.  I have only used it in
its default proxy mode.  Why don't you try it in the default proxy mode?

> Next I went to localhost:3142/acng-report.html and ran import and it
> gave me the following error:

Must you import from the CD?  You installed one machine okay from the
network.  For that same cost of download you could simply install one
machine using the apt-cacher-ng proxy.  Then all of the files will be
cached.  Then simply install upon the others.  Since they will all be
the same they all will be able to use the shared downloaded files.

> I am no champion of linux, nor of networking. I am just a student,
> trying to learn linux as much as he can, by asking his college to
> shift from windows to linux, and in the process learning the
> fundamentals of networking and linux.

Then I recommend taking the easy way out.  Just install one machine
using apt-cacher-ng as a proxy.  Then all of the packages will be
ready for the next machine.  Install the rest using the proxy and they
will use the already downloaded files.  It is simple.  It works.

Bob