Re: New to Debian (Gentoo user) - package management

Brian wrote:
On Fri 03 Jan 2014 at 08:44:49 -0500, Tanstaafl wrote:

I have some questions about how to do certain maintenance tasks in
Debian that I do routinely in gentoo.

eix-sync
to synchronizes the local repo with the online one
<snip>
Is there a decent manual describing basic maintenance tasks like this?
apt-get(8) and apt-cache(8).

"The Debian System, Concepts and Techniques" by Martin Krafft, (http://debiansystem.info/) to be a pretty good reference to how things are organized in Debian. Probably the most comprehensive writeup on Debian package management that I've seen, and some good sections on system admin as well. Might be a little dated though (2005) - things have changed a bit.

You might want to browse through http://www.debian.org/doc/books