Re: To do the same as Windows safe mode...........

On Wed, 01 Jan 2014 12:31:00 +1100 Scott Ferguson sent:

<snipped>

Thanks for your time Scott

> Expect very low latency with a satellite connection.

Is 976ms low or is that high? Is the lower number like 662ms high?

> > Now the latest is that they want me to run Jessie in the same mode
> > as safe mode in windows to “discount any programs that might be
> > using the network in the back ground”.
>
> To see what else (TCP) is using the network:-
> $ netstat -t

Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address
State tcp        0      0 192.168.2.5:43464
mail.skymesh.com.a:pop3 TIME_WAIT
tcp6       1      0 localhost:46195         localhost:ipp CLOSE_WAIT

> > To cut a long story short, the speed tests show up as being
> > “acceptable” when I use their speed tests.
>
> Test your true network speed with:-
> http://mlab-live.appspot.com/tools/ndt

I don't have sufficient java's for this site, only these:

i A java-common
i A libatk-wrapper-java
i A libatk-wrapper-java-jni
i A libhsqldb1.8.0-java
i A libjavascriptcoregtk-1.0-0
i A libjavascriptcoregtk-3.0-0
i A libjaxp1.3-java
i A libreoffice-java-common
i   libservlet2.5-java
i A libxalan2-java
i A libxerces2-java
i A libxml-commons-external-java
i A libxml-commons-resolver1.1-java
i A plasma-scriptengine-javascript
i A tzdata-java

> <snipped>

Thanks again for your time.
Charlie
    --
	Registered Linux User:- 329524

	People die of fright and live of confidence....Henry David
	Thoreau