Fwd: Re: Continuing to use SysV; LTS [Re: Fwd: Re: Skipping fsck during boot with systemd?]

>On 12/30/2014 5:49 PM, Don Armstrong wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 Dec 2014, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>>> The people there have enough to do at work, and like to have a life
>>> outside of work. Believer it or not, not everyone is capable (or
>>> interested) in spending their life working on Linux.
>>
>> If Debian is important to their business, then they should hire people
>> to work on the bits of Debian that matter to them. Pretty much everyone
>> who is serious about using Debian in production does this.
>>

>That's a great idea.  Who's going to pay these people - you?

They apparently pay you.
Who pays the hardware people who design the boards/etc?

>My clients are not IT folks.  They don't need Debian per say - they DO
>need Linux.  And, like all companies, they have a limited budget for
>software implementations.

Fair enough, but then if it is critical to their business, they will
have to pay.

>Again - these companies are not NOT IT companies.  They are
>manufacturers of equipment.  Right now, Debian just happens to be the

But now adays, software it the largest part of an equipment business. To
say they do not have software people is to say they do not have a
business.

>distribution they are using.  Yes, they have a couple of people familiar
>with Linux administration, but that's about it.  And these administering
>Linux is only a very small part of their job.  That's why they hire
>people like me to write specific device drivers and other software.  But
>they are not going to spend money hiring consultants to work on the OS.

But they need to adapt the software for their use.
That is a critical part of their business. In fact it is the part that
sets them apart from all their competitors. Hardware is easy these days.

>They could use pretty much any distro.  They liked Debian because of its
>stability.  But they don't NEED Debian.  If they wanted to spend lots of
>time trying to maintain the OS, they would have gone to slackware.

Whether Debian is the best choice for them is of course something they
will have to decide. It is modular, stable, conservative, old
fashioned,...

???