Re: Fwd: Re: Skipping fsck during boot with systemd?

On 12/29/2014 9:33 PM, William Unruh wrote:

>>> There we differ. You consider it a bug, and I consider it a feature.
>>> When I googled on the topic there was a Hail Mary chorus shouting "DO
>>> not interrupt fsck! It's BAD!". Ergo the consensus of opinion that if it
>>> is critical enough, do not allow it to be interrupted. Tough titties, as
>>> the process is for your own good.
>>>

>> I agree it's not a good idea to interrupt fsck WHEN IT IS FIXING A
>> PROBLEM.  A routine test when there is no indication of a problem is a
>> completely different story.
>>
>>> It's a small price to pay when you look back at the days when a Windows
>>> server HAD to go down at 3AM "for maintenance" (defrag, which took quite
>>> awhile) while we laughed and laughed at the stupid lamers who used it
>>> and suffered. I know I did.
>>>

>> It can be a HUGE problem.  For instance - maybe I'm getting ready to
>> make a presentation to a VP of a client's company.  The success of this
>> project depends on my presentation being more successful than another
>> consultants.  fsck running right then can easily cost me tens of
>> thousands of dollars over the course of the contract.
>>
>> Are YOU willing to reimburse me for that loss?
>>
>>> But, you sure as hell wouldn't interrupt a Windows full defrag process
>>> half-way through, would you? We've had it easy, so I consider it a
>>> feature. I'll take a 20 second inconvenience any day. :) Ric
>>>

>> I can, and I have, when it runs at an inconvenient time.  Windows allows
>> this, and terminates the defrag gracefully.  That's one thing Windows
>> has on Debian.
>>
>> Just because it's OK for YOU to have fsck to run any time it wants does
>> NOT mean it's ok for everyone else.
>>
>> And that's what this thread is all about - how to stop it from happening.
>>
>> But it will probably not matter to me, anyway.  My clients are looking
>> for alternatives to Debian just because of crap like this.  And we're
>> talking a lot of Debian systems running in dedicated controllers.
>>

> That seems to be cutting off you nose to spite your face. As many have
> told you, the default now seems to be to never do preventative fscks, so
> "crap like this" does not exist. While I certainly agree that systemd
> has its faults, hunting for and learning a whole new distro, with its
> own peculiarities and yes, bugs, will take up way way more of your time
> that figuring out how to whip Debian into shape for yourselves. Since
> you clients are on dedicated controllers, they have already done a lot
> of customisation, which will have to be redone.

No, from what I've seen, the default is to do preventative fscks,
depending on the number of boots (and time? I'm not sure).  It does
exist, but as others have indicated, THIS problem can be gotten around.

It's not me making the decision - it's my clients.  They know what they
have to do, and how it will affect them having to maintain two (or more)
distros for several years.  And I have to follow their lead; it's their
systems, after all.

I don't know how many system they sell a month - they don't release that
information, and quite frankly, as curious as I am, it's none of my
business.  My job is to write device drivers.  They have Linux admins
and system programmers who make the decisions on distros, packages, and
other software.

And the automatic fsck is not the only problem they see in Jessie.  It's
just the one affecting me the most.

Jerry