Re: Skipping fsck during boot with systemd?

On 12/28/2014 10:58 AM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 12/28/2014 5:54 AM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
On Sunday 28 December 2014 00:20:20 Celejar wrote:
On Thu, 11 Dec 2014 14:02:52 -0500

Jerry Stuckle <stucklejerry@gmail.com> wrote:
On 12/11/2014 1:23 PM, Brian wrote:
On Thu 11 Dec 2014 at 12:11:26 -0500, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
I often give presentations with my notebook.  If I'm lucky, I get
10-15 minutes to set up.  If I'm not, less than 5 minutes (i.e.
another presenter ahead of me).  I use Linux whenever possible, but
since my time slot is limited, I can't wait for fsck to complete.

Your type of situation is well understood and there is sympathy for it.

I appreciate that - but unfortunately, sympathy doesn't solve the problem
:)

Someone may have suggested this, and I know it doesn't really solve the
core problem, but perhaps consider suspending (to disk or ram) instead
of shutting down when you have a presentation scheduled?

Again, that is a way round the problem not a solution to it.

A facility that was available no longer is.  Whether it should be, is an
entirely different question.

Lisi

Lisi,

While I agree it's only a way around a problem and not a solution, I do
appreciate people trying to help out.

And while I would prefer a solution, it looks like that's not going to
happen.  So, unfortunately, after many years as a Debian user, I'm
looking at other options.  My clients are looking, also, although not
every one has made the decision to switch yet.

What's wrong with sticking with Wheezy for the next couple of years?? I haven't had my ext4 file system want to fsck in eons. Several times I have MADE it do a check on the next boot, just to check, and a Tbyte of storage was fscked in about 10-15 seconds.

Besides, I never did buy that bit about doing a complete dist-upgrade to Jessie (testing!) and then expecting to do a presentation to clients without a complete shakedown. I'd shoot myself first. I know you know better.

Can we not let this pitiful excuse for a thread JUST DIE?? :/ Ric

Linux user# 44256