/var/lib/dpkg/status strangeness

Hi Everyone,

My /var/lib/dpkg/status file became corrupt recently, I was getting this when
trying to apt-update:

dpkg: error: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 27803 package 'gcr':
 field name `°[?@' must be followed by colon

I managed to correct the issue by pulling some stuff from /var/lib/dpkg/status-
old...

But, can anyone explain why the corruption (shown below) ended up containing
the name of an old wireless SSID I used to use!?

***

 GCR is a library for crypto UI and related tasks.
 .
 This package contai<9c>^@^@^@^D ÃÃJ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^F^AïE^L^@r and
prompter
^D°^D[?@^@^@^@ÿÿÿÿÿÿ<8c>ÃÃr^NÃÿÿÿÿÿÿpã^@^Nairdrawndagger^A^D^B^D^K^V2^H^L^R^X$0H`l-
^K^Salled

***

The SSID was called 'airdrawndagger', it hasn't been active for over a year
and the machine in question was clean installed after the Wireless network was
replaced with another!

If only for my sanity, does anyone have any idea how this could happen?

Thanks : )