init script can't find /bin/dirname

The /etc/init.d/mysql script on one of my systems is complaning that it
can't find /bin/dirname and /bin/basename.  Line 24 of the script is
this:

SELF=$(cd $(dirname $0); pwd -P)/$(basename $0)

Both dirname and basename live in /usr/bin, not /bin.

I know I could add a PATH statement to the init script, but this problem
is my own doing and I'd like to fix it right.  I "cross-graded" this
system from 32-bit to 64-bit using this guide:

www.ewan.cc/?q=node/90

It worked pretty well, but not perfectly.  Some things got missed, like
screen, ntp, and a couple other packages.  I'm thinking that maybe
another missing package is preventing the mysql init script from
checking for /usr/bin/dirname.

I can run '/etc/init.d/mysql start' from a terminal and it works fine,
because it picks up the PATH associated with the terminal.  So this is
only a boot-time issue.

So is there a package or a  global setting somewhere that sets the PATH
for init scripts?

-Rob