Re: USB drive mounted Read-only; what to do ?

On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 12:00:52 -0200
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI <eduardo@kalinowski.com.br> wrote:

> >> #   ls -l /dev/sdi
> >> brw-rw---T 1 root floppy 8, 128 Dec 19 07:59 /dev/sdi

> > Anyone know where I could find info on the special permission denoted by the leading b in the permissions above,

> That's not a permission, it indicates it's a block device.

> > and same for the trailing T ?

> Sticky bit is set.

> "info ls" brings the coreutils manual, where these flags are described
> (see section "What information is listed").

Thanks to your help, and that of  Eduardo M KALINOWSKI, I have managed to get rid of the sticky bit, by running successively:

# ls -l /dev/sdi
brw-rw---T 1 root floppy 8, 128 Dec 21 10:44 /dev/sdi

# chmod a+x /dev/sdi

# ls -l /dev/sdi
brwxrwx--t 1 root floppy 8, 128 Dec 21 10:44 /dev/sdi

# chmod a+rw /dev/sdi

# ls -l /dev/sdi
brwxrwxrwt 1 root floppy 8, 128 Dec 21 10:44 /dev/sdi

# chmod o-t /dev/sdi

# ls -l /dev/sdi
brwxrwxrwx 1 root floppy 8, 128 Dec 21 10:44 /dev/sdi

As you can see above, you need first a chhmod a+rw that converts the T in t, after which a chmod o-t removes the t; chmod o-T does not work. Maybe there is a simpler way, but this one did work.

Only fly in the ointment is that gparted still complains that:
Unable to open /dev/sdi read-write (Read-only file system).  /dev/sdi has been opened read-only.

Cheers,

Ron.
--
                         L'è el dì di Mort, alegher!