Re: is sshd really restarting?

Chris Bannister wrote:
> Harry Putnam wrote:
> > When I restart ssh like so:
> >
> >    sudo /etc/init.d/ssh restart

Use 'service' instead.

  sudo service ssh restart

> > I see very little output. Should it be more verbose?

No.  It is a system daemon.  Very little is logged to the screen.

> > ,----
> > |    harry > sudo /etc/init.d/ssh restart
> > |   Restarting ssh (via systemctl): ssh.service
> > `----
> >
> > Can I get more verbose output?

The sshd is a system daemon.  Look for information in the system logs.

  tail -f /var/log/syslog

Or run:

  ps -efH | grep ssh

If you see the daemon in the list then it is running.  Note the
process id numbers.  If it changes then the restart did successfully
kill the previous and start a neww one.

  $ netstat -na | awk '$NF=="LISTEN"&&/:22/'
  tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:22              0.0.0.0:*  LISTEN
  tcp6       0      0 :::22                   :::*       LISTEN

If the port is listening then the daemon is running.

> What about:
>
> 	sudo /etc/init.d/ssh -vvv restart

Sorry but the /etc/init.d/ssh doesn't take any -v options.

Bob