Re: How is typical home computer used today?

On 12/08/2014 04:53 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
Lars Noodén wrote:
On 12/08/2014 08:14 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
Exactly what is meant by "Multi-seat PC"?
I'm working on defining a heavily customized personal
installation of
Debian. One of the *STRONG* underlying assumptions is the the
machine
would only ever be used by a specific individual. One of the
underlying
motivations is personally understanding the the guts of Linux.

Multi-seat is where one machine is physically used by multiple
users concurrently.  One display, keyboard and mouse per user are
plugged in to a single box and configured (with various amounts
of fiddling) in X.  It is used to good effect in classrooms and
libraries, especially as thin clients.

IIRC Brazil has some very large deployments.

Regards,
/Lars

That what I thought it probaly meant.
Thank you.

Unix and X were developed around time-sharing, and are showing their
age. Here is a quote from a document I came across recently:

"""
What was wrong with Unix?
"Not only is UNIX dead, it’s starting to smell really bad."
− Rob Pike circa 1991

Designed as an old fashion timesharing system, has trouble adapting to a
world of networks and workstations.

The advantages of timesharing were lost in the switch to workstations: Centralized management and administration, amortization of costs and resources.

Many features badly retrofitted over the years (eg., graphics, networking.)

Lots of hanging historical baggage.

Loss of conceptual integrity.

Unix is not simple anymore.
"""