Re: Iceweasel Latest update stealing bandwidth uselessly

Thank you all for some useful and "interesting" (strange??) replies.

There is no decrease in stolen bandwidth - still approx 5 - 6Mbyte/10min using Reko's settings:-

    browser.safebrowsing.malware.enabled = false
    browser.safebrowsing.enabled = false

I notice that there are five other 'browser.safebrowsing.' entries with various https addresses with google.com as part of the string:-

  browser.safebrowsing.appRepURL
  browser.safebrowsing.gethashURL
  browser.safebrowsing.malware.reportURL
  browser.safebrowsing.reportURL
  browser.safebrowsing.updateURL

There is also a geko.handlerService with google.com as part of the string.

Extensions and/or add-ons installed:-
Plugins:-
  DivX Browser Plug-in
  Gnome Shell Integration
  iTunes Applications Detector
  mplayerplug-in is now gecko-mediaplayer 1.0.6
  Quicktime Plug-in 7.6.9
  Realplayer 9
  Shockwave Flash 11.2.202.411
  Shockwave Flash 12.1.r601
  Skype Buttons for Kopote
  VLC Web Plugin
  Windows Media Player Plug-in

Extensions:-
  DownloadHelper 4.9.24
  DownThenAll! 2.0.17
  Flash Video Downloader Full HD Di=ownload (4K) 6.8.3
  Flashblock 1.5.17
  Flashgot 1.5.6.8
  TrackMeNot 0.8.13
  WorldIP 3.0.8

While I was checking the about:config and the Plugins and Extensions 22MByte went down the google gurgler &*^*&^*%$% even with Reko's settings in place.

Some of the traffic is on HTTP, but most (and most persistent) is on HTTPS. It starts off with a number (4 - 8?) of 74.125.237.xxx addresses of mixed HTTP and HTTPS, but after a while, the HTTP drop out, leaving only two HTTPS. This process could take about ten minutes. Ten minutes of Wireshark file capture could get quite large unless I filter on that 74.125.237.xxx address range. While this may reduce the file upload size, may we not be missing some sort of 'other' IP address 'calling' or 'beaconing' for itwa / google to start their BS?

As for LLamas, Yeti's and other furry animals:-
I subscribe to as little as possible and this includes Llamas, Yeti's and even Alpaccas, but I believe that Alpaccas are on the upgrade in Aus. ;-)

Thanks and regards

Alex