Re: no microphone in skype

On 05/12/14 11:13 PM, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
Can someone please tell me how to get microphone working in Skype?

When I do
Skype -> Options -> Sound Devices -> Make a test call

I can't hear back my own voice. So the microphone is not working.

In "Open PulseAudio Volume Control" -> Input Devices , I see two sections
1. Built-in Audio Analog Stereo
2. QuickCam Pro 9000 Analog Mono

When I make a sound, the blue bar in "QuickCam Pro 9000 Analog Mono"
section oscillates depending on the sound. But the blue bar in the
Built-in Audio section does not. This tells me that the microphone is
working but Skype is not able to use it somehow.

I tried clicking "Muto Audio" button in "Built-in Audio" section and
using the QuickCam Pro 900 as the fallback (green button at the top
right)

In the "Configuation" menu, I have set Built-in Audio profile to off,
QuickCam Pro 9000 Profile to "Analog Mono Input". What am I missing?

rajulocal@hogwarts:~$ dpkg -l skype \*pulseaudio\* | grep ^ii
ii  pulseaudio                 5.0-13       amd64        PulseAudio sound server
ii  pulseaudio-module-x11      5.0-13       amd64        X11 module
for PulseAudio sound server
ii  pulseaudio-utils           5.0-13       amd64        Command line
tools for the PulseAudio sound server
ii  skype                      4.3.0.37-1   i386         Wherever you
are, wherever they are

If someone got Skype working can you please share your configuration details?

thanks
raju
This is a never-ending problem with Skype. The best way is to have at least two microphones (one using a microphone-in port and one using usb). One or both of them may work at any given time. Also, try all the different sound inputs that Skype shows. One or another may or may not work. Don't expect any consistency.

The problem is that Skype uses proprietary codecs and closed-source code. They're simply not very good at keeping it working with Linux.