Re: Installing Linux on a Mac Mini without OSX

On 12/04/2014 04:29 PM, Brian Sammon wrote:
On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 14:46:09 -0500
Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

I was recently given a Mac Mini (Intel Mid 2007) that had been wiped.
I tried to install Debian (Wheezy) on it, and the installer reported
success, but  when it came time to eject and reboot, Debian didn't
boot from the hard drive.
[...]
Is there a way to install Debian/Linux on this machine that doesn't involve
buying or borrowing (or "borrowing") a copy of OSX?

If you managed to boot a plain-normal Debian CDROM installer, then your
machine's firmware has full BIOS support and you can boot a plain-normal
Debian install on the harddisk as well, as if the machine were
a normal PC.

Hmm... I was able to boot a plain-normal (I assume it is) Debian CDROM installer, but now I can't boot the plain-normal (I assume) Debian install that the installer said it installed.

The two questions I have:
Can I still assume that I have the firmware version that I want?
What do I do next to troubleshoot/fix this?

Another random question:
The installer gave me the choice of installing Grub on the partition or on the Master Boot Record.  Which of these should I choose?

If possible the normal route would be to the MBR. If you can boot from the CD install disk to a live session as root in a terminal window:
grub-install /dev/sda
update-grub
... I ~think~ will do the trick. I'd check this link out first though:
One of the above methods should get grub set correctly. Good Luck! Ric

Linux user# 44256