Re: Replacing systemd in Jessie

Brian wrote:
On Wed 03 Dec 2014 at 02:27:26 +1100, Scott Ferguson wrote:

Do you have a citation for this?
I'm glad you asked.
No - I "presumed" that amongst the "lots" of experts so opposed to the
late-command option, at least one of them would apply Kenshi's patch
(which apparently works) to d-i. Was my mistake an assumption that any
of them would do more than demand? (have any of them even, including
one of the noisier posters on this list who commented in that thread,
done any of the bug-tested he widely requested?)
You do us a service by raising this.

We are lead to believe there is a huge number of people who want to
preseed d-i to have a "clean install". Not one person on -user or -devel
has indicated any success with using the patch or given any detail which
would allow anyone to follow in their footsteps and test it.

Why not? Is it so difficult? Is it beyond the capabilities of a user
with technical skills? Looks like half an hour's work to me. Those who
have a vested interest in the issue seem reluctant to turn "apparently
works" into "does work" or "does not work".

Until we get some testing and substantial feedback, using this patch to
beat the anti-systemd drum should be seen as noise.

Well, actually, it does involve a little more than downloading debootstrap, applying the patch, and compiling. One has to build a custom copy of d-i to actually make use of it. That's bit of a complicated procedure. Personally, I'd rather wait for the installer team to fix a bug that has rather broad implications.

I also seem to recall seeing at least one report of someone who'd done the test.

Miles Fidelman